Monday, October 5, 2015

Blog 8 - Independent Component 1 Proposal

  1. Describe in detail what you plan to do for you 30 hours. 
    1. For my 30 hours I am enrolled in an EMT-Basic class at the UCLA Center for Prehospital Care. When I complete this class, turn 18(April), and pass the credential test, I will become a certified EMT. Becoming an EMT will hopefully give me a part time job in college and experience to get into medical school. This class is approximately 140 hours long and counts for seven college credits so I hope to be able to use this for both independent components. In order to enroll in the EMT class I also had to take a Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers class which was another five hours. 
  2. Discuss how or what you will do to meet the expectation of showing 30 hours of evidence.
    1. This class will not be over by the time IC1 is due, but I believe I will be able to access something similar to aeries online to see my grade. Along with my digital log, I hope this will be enough proof. If not, I can get a letter from my instructor to prove I am going to the classes. The class runs from January to March so I will have a grade and transcript for IC2.
  3. Explain how what you will be doing will help you explore your topic more in depth. 
    1. This class will give me some hands on experience in my topic. I believe that observing is great but actually learning how to work in a fast-paced stressful environment like the ER will give me a much greater understanding of the challenges healthcare providers face. One thing I hope to learn is how to communicate with other healthcare providers of different levels(nurses, doctors, paramedics). I believe that the medical conditions and terminology that I learn in this class will help me to better understand some of the research journals I read and some of the conditions I see when I am at mentorship. Also I am required to do two 12 hour shifts either in an ER or on an ambulance to get my EMT license which is even more real life experience. 
  4. Update your Senior Project Hours log. 
    1. Link

No comments:

Post a Comment