Monday, October 26, 2015

Blog 10 - Interview 2 Reflection

  1. Please explain how you are spending your mentorship time (Is it at a workplace or somewhere else?  Are you shadowing?  Are you able to do tasks that are meaningfully related to the topic?  If so, what?  Are there other people who are experts in the location?  Etc...)
    1. I am shadowing my mentor while he is working. I basically just follow him as he sees patients, reads results, fills out paperwork, and whatever other tasks he completes. Because I am just a shadow I am unable to really do anything but watch. Sometimes when my mentor has a break he will explain things on the X-Rays and CTs or about conditions that people come in with. Basically everyone who works there could be considered an expert in their narrow field(eg. emergency nursing). I am grateful to be shadowing a doctor though because they are probably the most knowledgeable people in the department.  
  2. How did you find your mentor?  How did you convince this person to help you?  
    1. My mentor is my mom's friend's friend's friend. I didn't have a lot of trouble getting him to help me because I explained why I was interested in his profession and my own health conditions. Also, he's a really nice person:). I did have problems being able to actually start mentorship though because the hospital was being bought by another company so my mentor had a hard time getting approval. 
  3. How would you rate your comfort level with your mentor at this point in your relationship?  How does this relate to the time you've spent so far at mentorship/with this person?
    1. I am much more comfortable with my mentor now than I was when I first started mentorship. He's very relaxed at work which put me more at ease. I am still pretty formal when I address him though(calling him Dr. Rodriguez instead of just Rodriguez) because most people in the department are too. 
  4. What went well in this interview?  Why do you think so?  What do you still need to improve?  How do you know?  How will you go about it?
    1. I think I was more prepared for this interview than the last one because I was able to create the questions. It helped that it was in a Starbucks, which is a pretty relaxed environment. I was also able to understand my mentor more in person than over the phone so I wasn't always asking "What did you say?". I think I could still improve on my transitions between questions and wrapping it up at the end. During the interview I was struggling to come up with transitions and I knew the ones I had didn't work very well because the topic change was kind of abrupt. I also didn't have any conclusion at all but I know it's good to have one. More practice interviewing people will definitely improve my skills. 







No comments:

Post a Comment