Thursday, January 28, 2016

Blog 15 - Independent Component 1


  • Literal
    • I, Lauren Burney, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 59 hours of work. 
    • I used the textbooks Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured and UCLA Center for Prehospital Care Supplement. My lectures for the course are Quinn Bowyer and Jeff Pollakoff. The skills instructors vary. 
    • Link
    • In order to even take my EMT class, I first had to take a CPR for Healthcare Providers class. This took up several hours, but I am now CPR certified. So far I am three weeks into my eight week EMT class. I have learned some basic anatomy, ethical and legal obligations of being an EMT, airway, and ventilation interventions, assessing patients, and taking vitals. After being lectured at for four hours, we spend another four hours actually practicing the skills we learned about. So far I have learned how to maintain an open airway, basic lifting techniques, administer oxygen, perform CPR, take a manual blood pressure, and assess patients. 
  • Interpretive
    • I have spent far over 30 hours in class and many more hours studying and completing the required homework. This project is preparing me to actually become a provider of emergency medicine. Before I am given the certificate of completion, I will actually spend at least 24 hours on an ambulance providing care to at least 10 patients. 
  • Applied
    • This class has helped me understand what these people who work in this field actually go through. My instructors have told the class stories about their triumphs and tribulations which have given me a better understanding of the system in general. Also, learning how to be an actual provider on an ambulance has given me a better understanding of how ambulance diversion can affect patient care.  
This is a screenshot of my posted grade. While there are other things in the grade book, it is too much to post everything. The exams portion comprises 40%(the largest portion) of my final grade.



No comments:

Post a Comment