Monday, December 14, 2015

Extra Blog

Over the weekend I was out shopping and I ran into an AMR ambulance that was set up for a toy drive. There were three very nice ladies working there who were all EMTs. They seemed very excited when I told them I was in the process of becoming an EMT also, most likely because it is such a male dominated field(about 30% female, 70% male). I asked them a few questions about how they like the job, what its really like, how hard it is to get hired, and if they get motion sickness riding in the back when they work on a patient. They ended up showing me around the inside of the truck, which was pretty awesome. One of my biggest concerns about becoming an EMT though is the massive amounts of lifting required. While they were very encouraging, they didn't sugar coat the fact that you do a lot of lifting. While one woman(the smallest one there) did say that basically all you do is lift, sometimes on a gurney, down stairs, or on a board, anyone can do it. At the end they asked me to take a picture for the AMR social media(hopefully they post it so I can have a copy too).


No comments:

Post a Comment